Friday, November 4, 2011

Flax Crackers Take 1


My dad has been making Flax crackers and working on perfecting the recipe. His are delicious. I though i'd give it a try....it turns out they are harder to make than it looks! For starters I let mine sit for 2 hours in the fridge in the water, but it turns out you need to let it sit at room temperature. Second for flavoring I only added (low sodium) soy sauce which made them turn out far too salty. Third I cant seem to figure out when to take them out of the oven so that they are perfectly crispy without being burnt. I tried a second batch with soy vay instead of soy sauce, and i'm not sure why but its terrible. Maybe third time's the charm...we'll see!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think putting it in the frig is good. I use Cormiers Gold as the basic liquid which has garlic and ginger and soy sort of sweet.

    I am now cooking at 250 but even lower would be better for the nutritional value but I am too impatient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also found that if you use only flax seeds its a little dense. I am now adding pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds. Also if you don't cook them long enough they stay soft or plyable, but over cooking them is not good either.

    I cook for about 1 hour, take one out and put it on the granite top counter (cools the cracker) and when they are done, the cracker gets solid in about 1 minute. then I know its time to take the batch out.

    ReplyDelete