Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Garlic Scapes Pesto



Last Thursday I headed to the farmers market at work in hopes for fresh peaches. No peaches were to be found, but they had a bucket of beautiful garlic scapes. I've never seen them for sale before so how could I pass up this opportunity! The farm even provided me with a recipe! I bought 1/2 lb of garlic scapes and was excited to try making garlic scapes pesto. I was imagining it to be garlicy, but not overwhelmingly so. I was very very wrong. I tasted the pesto as I was making it and it tasted like pure garlic!! I quickly emptied out my fridge's basil collection and added that to the pesto to try and diffuse the flavor. It helped, but only mildly. We ate it over pasta, but I would not recommend it. Tonight i'm going to try it again since we have so much leftovers ----i'll add more basil this time i guess.

Below is the recipe I dont recommend

1/2 lb garlic scapes (buds cut off)
1 c oil
2 c Parmesan cheese
blend in food processor

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry your adventure did not pay off, but good for you for trying!

    Maybe you can put it one of your ramekins, cover it with oil and roast it in the oven for a while to mellow out the flavor. That works with whole garlic.

    ReplyDelete